Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Growing Blueberries

I haven't grown blueberries much myself (my cherished sunny spots are usually reserved for flowering perennials) even though I grew up surrounded by fields of blueberries in western Michigan many moons ago. I do know that they are pretty easy if given the correct acidicy and exposure-make sure you do a little research before you purchase and if possible, buy from a nursery that is knowledgeable. For instance, there are several varieties that prefer colder climates and others that tolerate our hot, dry summers here in Portland. There are some dwarf varieties that you may want to consider if you do a lot of container gardening.

Here's a link to a great family owned nursery that specializes in blueberries-they even offer classes on growing these beloved little Cheerio toppers:


No comments:

Post a Comment