Monday, July 26, 2010

Coreopsis rocks!












I love coreopsis and you should too. It's one of the easiest summer perennials to grow-it's drought tolerant (really it is) especially once it's established; it's very disease, pest resistant, it's happy yellow (or combinations of orange, pink and red), it's a great cut flower, the flowers can last into fall and it doesn't spread like crazy. Some are short, some are tall, some are bold, some are delicate. I love them, and I plan to get more into the courtyard this fall. I planted four small starts in a hot, dry, dog-trampling zone and all four are thriving. I'm hoping that the whole area fills in by next summer and I plan to stick some starts in another dry zone by my mystery hardy pink rose and some spirea. Not the most exciting design, but I've got to plant really tough perennials that will live when I move and no one is watering them in the summer.

The pictured coreopsis above is a double called early sunrise and I love, love them, they're the purest of deep yellows. If you're in the Portland area check out Portland Nursery for some nice varieties-they're featured on the website this month.
http://www.portlandnursery.com/plants/perennialPicks/coreopsis.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment