Monday, August 23, 2010

Meyer Lemon Saga Part 2: My First Lemon



 Okay, so I didn't let it ripen to yellow.  I grew impatient.  It's already the end of August and i just wanted to sample one.  There are two more large lemons on the way in addition to several little guys that may not mature before the weather turns.  I'll have to bring them inside and give them extra light on those rainy days I suppose.   Maybe I'll leave them alone to actually properly ripen.  If you need more, here's some basic Meyer lemon info: http://www.kathyrmiller.com/meyer_lemon_tree.htm

3 comments:

  1. Nothing is an enjoyable as growing lemons... they are so useful! And the one thing you can leave on the plant and it won't (or at least takes forever!) to die!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I didn't give up on it when it was rife with scale and earwigs. It's been really fun growing the little juicy nuggets.

    It really likes being outside however, and I'm not looking forward to having to bring it in come fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a Meyer lemon in a large pot that lives out on my patio all year. The only time it comes inside the house is when there's a prediction of below freezing temps for more than one night. Otherwise, I just throw a few quilts over it and move it closer to the house to keep it from freezing. I'm in Portland at a higher elevation where we tend to get more frosts and colder temps than most of Portland.

    ReplyDelete